My Europe Trip Expenses

April 18, 2017

Image credit: Google

Many have asked me how much does it cost to travel on my own compared to following a tour agency. Please note that this Europe trip was travelled in the autumn of 2015 during September. Therefore, the prices and currency exchange rate is based on that period of time.

In this post, I will blog about the accommodation and the train/long-distance bus I took from one city to the another city. Please note that this post does NOT include the expenses of the underground train, tram, local bus that I took on my daily outing during my sightseeing.

When I state ‘whole apartment’ in the type of accommodation, it means I am staying all by myself without sharing with anyone, not even the host. The host is staying somewhere else, so I got the whole place to myself. The price stated is the total price for the duration of my stay, NOT the price for one night.

All the accommodation and the long-distance trains and buses are booked online and paid by credit card in June before my trip in September. All I need to do is print out the e-tickets to show proof to the officer on train when they go round to check each passenger’s ticket.


ACCOMMODATION

BERLIN
Type: Whole apartment
Duration: 3 nights
Price: €84
Booking website: Airbnb

DRESDEN
Type: One private room (staying with the host but he’s sleeping in his own room)
Duration: 2 nights
Price: €47
Booking website: Airbnb

MUNICH
Type: Euro Youth Hotel Munich
Duration: 3 nights
Price: €152.50
Booking website: booking.com

VIENNA
Type: One private room
Duration: 3 nights
Price: €98
Booking website: Airbnb

VENICE
Type: Hotel Astoria
Duration: 3 nights
Price: €198
Booking website: expedia.com

FLORENCE
Type: One private room
Duration: 3 nights
Price: €101
Booking website: Airbnb

ROME
Type: Colazione Al Vaticano B&B Hotel
Duration: 3 nights
Price: €163.50
Booking website: expedia.com


LONG-DISTANCE TRANSPORTATION

From BERLIN to DRESDEN
Type: Long-distance bus
Company: Meinfernbus
Price: €7
Duration: 2 hours 40 mins

From DRESDEN to MUNICH
Type: Long-distance bus
Company: Meinfernbus
Price: €22
Duration: 8 hours

From MUNICH to VIENNA
Type: Train
Company: OBB
Price: €49
Duration: 5 hours

From VIENNA to VENICE
Type: Train
Company: OBB
Price: €69
Duration: 11 hours 48 mins

From VENICE to FLORENCE
Type: Train
Company: Trenitalia
Price: €34
Duration: 2 hours

From FLORENCE to ROME
Type: Train
Company: Trenitalia
Price: €29
Duration: 1 hours 31 mins


Currency Exchange Rate
13/7/15 €700 x 4.27 = RM 2,989
12/8/15 €900 x 4.46 = RM 4,014
Total: €1,600 = RM 7,003

Accommodation and Train: €1,054
€700 x 4.27= RM 2,989
€354 x 4.46 = RM 1,579
€1,054 = RM 4,568


FLIGHT TICKETS


Departure Flight
Airline: Qatar Airways from Kuala Lumpur to Berlin (1 stop at Doha, Qatar)
Price: RM 2,251

Return Flight
Airline: Sri Lankan Airlines from Rome to Kuala Lumpur (with 1 stop at Bandaranaike, Sri Lanka)
Price: RM 1,341 (€317.73)

Total Expenses:
4,568 (accommodation & train) + 3,592 (flights) = RM 8,160

*this total DO NOT include daily meals, subway train fare, snacks, bottled mineral water, admission fees to museums and palaces.



FOOD

What about food? How much should I prepare to bring for my daily meals? I believe this is the another crucial factor to take into consideration when you travel. I have written down everything I ate and the price so below is a list of the price for each food and drink in Germany, Austria, Italy in general.
  • A slice of pizza from subway train station:  €5 (RM 25)
  • Sandwich: €5 (RM 25)
  • A bottle of mineral water (1.5L): €1 – €2 (RM 5 – 10) *the price varies depending on whether you buy near tourist spot or at that far away shop down the road.
  • A plate of spaghetti: €8 – €13 (RM 40 – 65) *again it depends if the restaurant is located near major attractions or not.
One day, you probably need AT LEAST €20 (RM 100) for meals, so if you are staying for one week, €20 x 7 = €140 (RM 700)

So, if you take the previous amount of RM 8,160 + RM 700 (Food) = RM 8,860. That's not even up to RM10k yet. With approximately RM9,000, you can travel like me visiting Germany, Austria, Italy, and Vatican City within three weeks.

On an addition note, if you're lucky, you could get a cheaper flight ticket depending on the month you're going and also if you book in advance. Same goes with accommodation, if you choose a off-peak season, you might get a cheaper rate for your room.

If you have any questions regarding Europe trip, don’t hesitate to send me a message. I would try to help.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. This is a good read thanks for sharing your experience I've been to Germany and I do agree with you people there are really friendly. When I was lost one man even turn on his google map and helped me get where I wanted to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jia Shin, thanks for your comment. Oh yes, I was overwhelmed by their eagerness to help tourists and they go the extra mile to make sure you get your answer. They make sure you get the correct direction to your destination. I would love to go back again to visit other parts of Germany.

      Delete
  2. I have to say you can certainly travel much cheaper than that. My wife and I began in Kiev in early Feb and are now in Bosnia. We had 2 stops in the Ukraine, 3 in Bulgaria, 1 in Macedonia, 1 in Kosovo, 1 in Croatia and 2 so far in Bosnia. We have our expenses documented to the penny and our expenses for 79 Days were $4584 which included Flights, Food, Lodging and all travel plus some tours etc for two people. Total of $58 a day average for two people, granted we are in Eastern Europe and things are cheaper there. The Balkans may be the best bargain in the world right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi "A Road To Travel", thanks for your sharing. I would love to travel to some Eastern Europe countries in future. Did you blog about your Eastern Europe trip to share with your blog readers? Keep me updated as I would like to read about it too.

      Delete
  3. We have been on such a roll we have posted on a few times in the last while. We are heading to Thailand for 5 months on the 5th of May and will be adding many comments then. Will let you know about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I'm looking forward to read about your trip. Here's wishing you and your wife a fantastic and wonderful trip in Thailand.

      Delete

My Instagram Feed

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images